Friday, September 18, 2009

Giving up wheat

I don't know about you, but giving up wheat has really been the hardest thing for me to do in my entire life. That may sound a little over dramatic, but it's the truth. My willpower is not as strong as it should be, but it has gotten better over the past two years. At first, I stopped eating wheat maybe about 10-20% of the time and eventually I was eating less and less wheat. I would do really well and then I'd fall of the wagon so to speak. The craving for some delicious wheat infested treat would be too much so I'd give into the temptation. Even now there are times when I give into the temptation. Although, the temptations have lessened and most of the foods that I love with wheat I am now eating without wheat. I still fall off the wagon occasionally. I sometimes beat myself up about that and think why can't I give it up completely?! My body rejects this food so why am I still causing harm to my body. Honestly, it's a body image thing. I believe its a lack of self respect/ self love. I have always had body image issues which I have dealt with quite a bit. Obviously, I need to do a little more work when it comes to the wheat allergy. I am probably about 75% wheat free, which also means i am eating wheat 25% of the time. All I can say to that is at least I'm moving in the right direction. Since it has been very difficult to completely give up the wheat, I have to look at the positives so i am not beating myself up all the time.

It would really encourage me if those of you who know my pain would share your story on here. It might help to know others are struggling with giving it up as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment