Thursday, September 17, 2009

Finding Out about my wheat allergy

I have been suffering with stomach issues for several years. First, it was being lactose intolerant and then few years later I was having stomach cramping, gas, and diarrhea after I ate. In the last two years, I would get very bloated in addition to the other symptoms after eating food. I went to chiropractor who suggested I go on this "diet" that basically get everything out except organic meat- free range, organic fruits and veggies, nuts, red wine, dark chocolate, and certain spices. It was an anti-inflammatory diet. I tried it for a month and I felt a lot better, but it was extremely hard for me to stick with it. During that month, I was doing some research on the internet about the diet. I came across information concerning celiac disease and gluten intolerance. Which led me to remember that when I was a freshman in college my doctor diagnosed me with wheat and potato allergies. Back then, I broke out in hives all over my body. I went to doctor several times because of the hives before he sent me to a doctor specializing in allergies. After determining what was causing the hives, I stayed off all wheat and potatoes for a year. My dad had a lot of food allergies as a kid and they went away. So I thought I would test it out to see if I was still allergic. Well, I ate both wheat and potatoes and did not break out in hives, so I figured that the allergies went away. While I was remembering all of this, I came to the conclusion that the allergies never really went away, but internalized and caused all my stomach issues. I started researching wheat allergy symptoms. The symptoms really didn't match my symptoms (some but not all). In the process of reading about wheat allergies, I also looked up symptoms for Celiac Disease. It seemed to me that I had more symptoms of Celiac Disease than a wheat allergy. I went to my doctor for a regular physical with the works. I told her my concerns and asked to test me for Celiac Disease... the results she said that I was mostly likely do not have Celiac. She sent me to the Vanderbilt University Medical Center allergy clinic to test for wheat allergy. The results from that testing is that I am STILL allergic to wheat and potatoes. I had then test for the potatoes too since I was once allergic them as well.

That was back in August of 2007, since then it has been a real struggle to give up the foods that I LOVE. Mashed Potatoes were my favorite side dish and pasta and bread were my favorite foods. I didn't really know a lot about eating gluten free foods, but its been over two years now and have learned quite bit about which foods are gluten free and also ingredients. I eat bread and pasta now, but they are made with gluten free flours. The bad thing about also having a potato allergy is that a lot of gluten free foods are made with potato starch or flour. So, I have to be careful even with the gluten free package foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment